Oct 29, 2010

Sheila's Tequila Pairings


I love a challenge. We hosted a tequila dinner last night, and I had been given the mission of pairing tequila cocktails with each of the four courses.  Now, I’ve paired a lot of wines with different foods, and I’ve even done a beer pairing, but this was a whole new ballgame.  Thank goodness for Google.  I quickly found out that pairing tequila is like pairing wine: match the weight of the food with the weight of the cocktail, enhance flavours or contrast flavours, and nothing pairs well with artichokes.  During the dinner I was asked to discuss my pairings, and I was a little nervous to see their reactions, but it quickly dissipated when I was met with nods of encouragement and smiles.  The highlight of the pairings was a twist on a Cosmopolitan called the Cosmoquila.  Fitting, as Eight Wine Bar is located in the Cosmopolitan Hotel.

I think that’s one of the reasons why I love being a sommelier; every dinner is a different challenge, whether I’m pairing dinner with wine, beer or tequila.  Just to tease you, here’s the dinner we served (which all of the guests loved).

1st Course
Bean and Lobster Chili
with Avocado Yogurt and Charred Corn Salsa
El Jimador Brisa – El Jimador Blanco, lemonade, pomegranate juice

2nd Course
Roasted Duck Breast
with Grapefruit and Tequila Chutney, Purple Potato Purée,
Corona Battered Crispy Onion Rings
Cosmoquila – El Jimador Blanco, triple sec,
squeeze of lime, cranberry juice

3rd Course
Drunken Piglet “Make Your Own Taco”
served with Pickled Onions, Jalapenos and C’est Bon Goat Cheese
Herradura “Agave” Margarita
Herradura Reposado, triple sec, fresh lime juice, agave nectar

Dessert
Mango Flambé with Tequila Brown Sugar
Served on a Spicy Pancake with Vanilla Ice Cream
Café Cortado – Herradura Reposado, coffee liqueur, half & half

No comments:

Post a Comment